Island Lighthouses
El Cotillo
El Cotillo
El Faro de Tostón at Punta Ballena (Whale Point)
El Cotillo Lighthouse

The original lighthouse was opened in 1897, and consisted of a 7 m high plain masonry tower on one corner of the single storey keeper's house. In the 1950s a new 15-metre concrete tower was constructed, which was also superseded by a taller tower in the 1980s. This distinctive 30 m concrete tower, which is white with red bands, has a focal height of 35 m above the sea. Its light can be seen for 14 nautical miles, and consists of a flash of white light every eight seconds.

The original keeper's house has been renovated and reused as a museum with a small café. Visitors to the museum which contains an exhibition describing the traditional fishing of the island, can also climb to the top of the 1950s concrete tower.[
A short c. 1 km self-guided walking trail circles the lighthouse. Multilingual signs describe the geology, shellfish and wildlife found on the headland. Most notable is the description of the Aljibe, a water collection system, next to the road leading to the lighthouse, which was used to provide drinking water for the keepers and their families

Faro de la Entallada

Completed in 1955, it was constructed by the architect Carlos Alcon who incorporated elements of Moorish architecture in a unique design. Contrasting masonry and white washed mortar has been used to produce a distinctive exterior facade. The coloured stone originating from the village of Tetir, in the centre of the island.

On the seaward face the lighthouse has three square towers, the tallest central tower supporting the lantern dome, which is made entirely of glass. On the landward side the building extends into two arms, with a central courtyard enclosed on three sides by an arched walkway.

Situated on high cliffs provides a focal height of 196 m above the sea; the third highest in the Canaries. Its light can be seen for 21 nautical miles, and consists of three flashes of white light every eighteen seconds.

The prominent location means that it is now promoted as a point of interest for tourists, with a viewpoint and car park. The lighthouse is considered to be the closest point in the Canaries to Africa, 100 km to the east.

As well as acting as a maritime light, it has also been used historically as an aerial beacon. Aircraft from Gando airfield were directed towards the Spanish Sahara by the lighthouse, including those used in the Ifni conflict.
Faro de la Entallada
Located on the east coast, near the village of Las Playitas in Tuineje.
The light was originally powered by olive oil, and gave a steady red light that had a range of 9 miles. In 1883, the oil-powered lamp was replaced by one that ran on paraffin, and then in 1923 this was superseded by an acetylene lamp, that provided a longer range and flashed twice every five seconds. An automatic sun valve was also added, to save the keeper having to light and extinguish the lamp, each day at dusk and dawn. A system of solar panels and batteries now provide the power for a 150-watt electric halogen lamp, which has a reach of 14 nautical miles. When the lighthouse was automated in the 1960s the keeper and his family were the last to leave the island, which now has no permanent residents.

Excursion boats to the Isla de Lobos can be found in Corralejo Harbour.
There are several boats available, some with glass bottoms. There is also a small ferry that crosses the Bocaina, (the strait that separates the north of Fuerteventura from the south of Lanzarote) the journey takes around 20 minutes
Faro de Punta Martiño
Isla de Lobos

The lighthouse was opened in 1865, making it one of the oldest in the Canaries. Built in a similar style to other Canarian 19th-century lights, it consists of a painted single storey house, with dark volcanic rock used for the masonry detailing. A six-metre-high masonry tower is attached to the seaward side of the house.
The area around the lighthouse can be reached by following the marked 3.5 km footpath from the ferry landing; although the site is accessible, the tower and buildings are closed.